Sunday, February 18, 2007

Recipes.........finally

These are some quick and easy recipes I've made. Sorry it took so long to post, but I had to actually make them and then write down the measurements. Measurements are only estimates since I usually cook most meals by "eye balling". Hope you guys enjoy them.

My version of Tortilla Soup
(This soup is packed with lycopene......which studies have shown men who consumed 10 servings of tomatoes per week can help cut risks of prostate cancer. )

--shredded Mexican cheese mixture
avocado, diced (optional)
tortilla chips(optional)
1 can (15oz ) diced tomatoes w/green chilies
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 small roasted chicken or roasted turkey leg and thigh


1. Place roasted chicken or turkey leg in a large pot and add 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
2. In a small skillet, heat olive oil in med. heat. Add the garlic, onion, and green pepper and cook until onion is slightly brown.
3. Remove turkey leg or chicken and set aside to cool. Remove the meat and set aside.
4. Bring broth to a boil and add the onion mixture and diced tomatoes to broth. Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Add the meat back to the soup.
5. Add cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste
6. Ladle soup in bowls and topped w/ cheese, chips, avocado.
ENJOY!

Note: I've always made this w/roasted turkey leg or chicken. To cut time and make it more convenient, you can try it with chicken broth from a can but I think the taste will be compromised. Besides, my American husband expects freshness......it's in the contract before he agreed to purchase me.

Shrimp with fresh Tomatoes(yes, another tomato recipe......gotta keep that prostate healthy!)

3-4 large ripe tomatoes(preferably vine ripen or hot house tomatoes. The kind that are still on the vine at the store)
Fresh basil, chopped(add as much as you want)
2 gloves garlic, minced
Italian parsley, chopped (amount to taste)
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan, asiago, and mozzarella cheese mixture ( mixture is in a plastic container in the refrigerated section)

Heat olive oil on med. high heat, add tomatoes. Stir frequently.
When tomatoes appear soft, add garlic and turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently. Add parsley, season w/salt&pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Add basil. Turn off heat. Serve with angel hair or spaghetti noodles. Top with some freshly shaved parmesan cheese.

Quick and Easy pumpkin muffins(so easy even little Amy can make it!)

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree--the kind you get to make pumpkin pie
1 box of spice cake mix

Combine both--mix well. Fill muffin pan and bake according to box direction.

Turkey patties w/Horsey sauce

Patties:
1 pkg ground turkey----about 1 lb pkg
1/2 cup wheat germ----healthier alternative to bread crumbs.
1/4 cup each of onion, red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 italian parsley, finely chopped
s/p to taste
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 egg

Mix all of the above together........do not over mix mixture
Form mixture into patties (any size you want)
Grill or cook about 3-4 minutes on each side. Do not overcook as patties will be dry!
Serve with brown and wild rice or a salad.

Horsey Sauce:

Prepared horseradish (I use Silver brand........in the refrigerated section)
lite mayo
I use 1:1 ratio. You might want to start with 2:1 (mayo to horseradish) if you want it milder. Adjust to taste.
Great w/spinach salad and couscous.
Spinach salad: toss spinach and mandarin orange with balsamic vinegar and a little extra virgin olive oil. Top w/roasted almonds and maytag blue cheese.







1 comment:

Shelley said...

Wow. Those sound good. I was going to make chicken soup this weekend, but the tortilla soup sounds even better.

Oh, I checked the cost of airfare for tampa to vegas. We'd wait until end of march for alex to have paid time off (assuming he's allowed to come). It was around $400 per person. A little pricey. I'm going to wait and see if the price drops. Otherwise I wouldn't mind visiting phoenix. (And yes, i believe i did just invite myself to your other home). :)